Irving Penn

PHOTOGRAPHER #21.

Website: http://irvingpenn.org/
Contact: No contact. Artist deceased, 2009.

Irving Penn is respected as one of the most profound portrait photographers, not only for his era but of all time. In all honesty I find it difficult to find many classics of his however when he gets it right - he really can't be bested. 

Irving Penn's Vogue cover (see Image 1)... I am not sure words can really do this piece justice. So simple. I find it hard to justify to myself how something so basic can be so beautiful (rather than relying purely conceptual minimalism) - Well, perhaps I don't stand by that comment... But it is interesting that a simple combination of lines and tones can create something wonderful.

I feel like it captures something elegant and gorgeous but also humorous about the fashion industry. The attitude of the piece not only portrayed by the models herself, but every element suggests a little bit of pretentiousness. 

Playing with symmetry, composition, textures, minimalism, themes of classic beauty and elegance Irving Penn has created an untouchable legacy that will last for as long as we do. 












0 comments:

Post a Comment