Derek Paul Boyle

PHOTOGRAPHER #31.

Website: Derek Paul Boyle
Contact: derekpaulboyle@gmail.com

I am not entirely sure why I like Derek Paul Boyle's style so much - but gosh his works are just so mesmerising. Some blogs that I follow on Tumblr have gone nuts for him and I completely understand why. Boyle's comment on his style is that he is interested in the "power of contradiction, the lure of anticipation, and incompatible states of the self. What was once bound is made free, the known made unknown. In a wavering step between angst and serenity, fear and pleasure, I want to give form to anxiety, a shape to tension."

I am not sure the notion of giving "a form to anxiety" is executed well enough in Boyle's images to fully claim that statement - There is certainly a factor of anxious energy in his works however giving anxiety a form is much more intense than having a basic element of suspense. Perhaps I am being pedantic. I would describe Boyle's style as quirky, minimal and humorous with a hint of subtle unease. In saying this "wavering step between angst and serenity" makes perfect sense to me. There is a conflicting element between tranquility and tension in most of Boyle's works that captivates the viewers attention perfectly - this is probably where his main appeal lies. 













0 comments:

Post a Comment