Mario Testino

PHOTOGRAPHER #3. 


Website: http://www.mariotestino.com
Email: info@mariotestino.com


Testino and many other celebrity photographers have been critiqued harshly for not ‘presenting reality’. There seems to be a favoured disposition/trend towards ‘truthful photography’ within many sectors of the creative industries. Those who do not comply are met with a disgruntled attitude.
However I really question why fantasy is inferior to realism (particularly in art).

The role of the artist is to discover beauty as they understand it. I am aware that seems like a bold statement when there are photographers such as Kevin Carter and his image of the vulture stalking a tiny Sudanese, malnourished and terminally ill child.  The image itself is the opposite of beauty (and if I am going to be perfectly honest, there has never been a time where I have been able to look at that picture without crying). However, it represents an unapologetic truth for his audience – and the truth (no matter how ugly the subject is) is beauty.
I also think that the difference between creating a imagined scene and depicting reality is the objective word : create. Creating a fantasy scene for a photograph is very different to capturing the perfect moment.  I believe this is where true artistry lies, in the creation. I am not for a second discrediting the eye and skill that is involved in moment photography however I  personally would feel much more satisfaction (as a viewer but particularly as a photographer) in seeing a planned vision come to life rather than being in the right place at the right time to catch a  moment.

After all this said, I think it can be taken away that I am a huge fan of Mario Testino’s work and I find no fault in his neglect of reality. I believe he has fulfilled his role of the artist magnificently. From glossy and dramatic lighting, lavish sets, gorgeous women and luscious colour schemes I really believe that he deserves all the acclaim that has come his way.













0 comments:

Post a Comment